KPI Rothschild

Stranges Building - Original
219 - 223 High Street

Christchurch

Year of Construction: 1899 - 1900

Strange and Co., founded by William Strange, opened the first department store in Christchurch. 

In 1899, at the height of its success, Armson, Collins and Harman architects were comissioned to design a new store for the corner of High and Lichfield Streets. The result was a four-storey, Oamaru stone-faced building that wrapped around the corner, with an elegant verandah and parapet. It survived the historic Christchurch fire of 1908 and after William Strange's death in 1914 it was sold.

The building was purchased by KPI Rothschild's associated company twice; first in 2004 and then again in 2010. It continued to be used for a variety of retail purposes until it was damaged in the February 2011 earthquakes.

It has since been replaced with the modern Stranges Building that was completed in April 2014.

view large map

Contact Address
KPI Rothschild Property Group
Suite 1, Level 1
225 High Street
Christchurch 8011
New Zealand
Phone: 03 977 4986

Back to Properties

Top