KPI Rothschild

Lost To The Quake

In 2010 and 2011, the Canterbury earthquakes changed the face of Christchurch.

KPI Rothschild lost three buildings in the September 2010 quake and damage was done to all of its other properties. On 22 February 2011, many of our buildings suffered further damage and became uneconomic to repair.

We are now in the process of rebuilding on some of the original sites and refurbishing premises that could be saved.

Learn more about our properties that were lost to the earthquakes below.

 

 219 - 223 High Street
Stranges Building - Original
219 - 223 High Street
Christchurch
Strange and Co., founded by William Strange, opened the first department store in Christchurch.  In 1899, at the height of its...
ID: 220
 83 Lichfield Street
Glendenning Hill - Original
83 Lichfield Street
Christchurch
The original Glendenning Hill Building was constructed for a Dunedin based clothing manufacturer, Glendenning Hill. The building later became one of four...
ID: 84
 208-210 Cashel Street
Cashel Street - Original
208-210 Cashel Street
Christchurch
208-210 Cashel was built circa 1900, it had under gone significant up-grades and was the long-time headquarters of MB Cook commercial...
ID: 208
 111-113 Lichfield Street
Lichfield Street - Original
111-113 Lichfield Street
Christchurch
111-113 Lichfield Constructed Circa 1900.  This ornate building was once the home of Dunlop tyres head offices. The 2011 quakes took...
ID: 111
 14 Bedford Row
Bedford Row - Original
14 Bedford Row
Christchurch
Number 14 was the home of Sammy’s Jazz review and was like a trip to SOHO, with an inner courtyard surrounded...
ID: 14
 242 High Street
Cheapskates Building - Original
242 High Street
Christchurch
242 High Street has had many businesses call home over the decades. Once the headquarters of the original Canterbury Savings bank...
ID: 242
 30 Bedford Row
Remmington House - Original
30 Bedford Row
Christchurch
Remmington House was an attractive three-level brick building, designed as a warehouse and store. The original railway lines and cobblestones added...
ID: 30
 36 Bedford Row
The Chair Building - Bedford - Original
36 Bedford Row
Christchurch
This section of the Chair Building had been fully refurbished with concrete polished floors, gib white walls and exposed brick.  It...
ID: 36
 127 Lichfield Street
George Henry House - Original
127 Lichfield Street
Christchurch
George Henry House was an elaborate building with a protected facade. It was originally constructed for George Henry and Co, a coffee...
ID: 127
 184 - 188 Manchester Street
Westende House - Original
184 - 188 Manchester Street
Christchurch
Westende House was built on the south-west corner of John Bealey's 1852 four-acre garden. The design complimented the neighbouring Hall of Agriculture...
ID: 188
 178 Manchester Street
Hillary & Baxter House - Original
178 Manchester Street
Christchurch
Hillary & Baxter House was designed by architect John Guthrey. The firm closed its doors in 2008 and the building then underwent...
ID: 178
 169 - 177 High Street
England Bros House - Original
169 - 177 High Street
Christchurch
This substantial building was designed and constructed by England Bros in 1906. The company also supplied the materials for the job...
ID: 169
 155 - 157 High Street
Duncan's Buildings - Original
155 - 157 High Street
Christchurch
The Duncan’s Buildings rated as a category two historic and heritage group of buildings. KPI Rothschild owned two of the group,...
ID: 155
 139 Lichfield Street
The Chair Building - Lichfield - Original
139 Lichfield Street
Christchurch
Prior to the February 2011 earthquake, the Chair Building had undergone a total refurbishment. The ground floor housed retailer Whare and...
ID: 139
 130 Lichfield Street
Bar Belezza House - Original
130 Lichfield Street
Christchurch
Bar Belezza House was made up of two buildings with ornate plaster detailing and a protected facade. This premises was fully restored...
ID: 130
 325 Stanmore Road
Old Henry Africa's - Original
325 Stanmore Road
Christchurch
Henry Africa's restaurant was established in this building in 1973, alongside the wine bar Sweet Jane's. Each venue had an extensive...
ID: 319
Top